What are the benefits of Reiki?
Reiki works on different levels- the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual - enhancing everything in life. One of the greatest benefits of reiki is stress reduction and relaxation. Often the stress we face in life causes us to have blockages within the body which stops our flow of life-force energy. The mind really does affect the body. Reiki helps to release the blockages and allow the energy to flow freely again.
Physically we feel renewed whilst mentally we feel at peace. Mentally and emotionally, reiki helps us to go with the flow of life more easily, accepting that everything will work out if we trust in the universe, not always what we think we should happen, but for our higher good. The natural healing of the immune system is triggered, sleep improves and general health is achieved.
After a reiki session everyone always asks me how to maintain this feeling of peace within a busy life. It's lovely to have a treatment and even better to keep some of the benefits afterwards. Firstly I share Dr Usui's reiki principles as follows:
Just for to day...
I will not worry
I will not be angry
I will be grateful
I will do my work honestly
I will be kind to every living thing
If we could adopt these principles every day, life would be so much more harmonious for us all, and indeed we would spread happiness all around us! Observe your mood and don't let other people take you away from these principles. That way you keep your vibration and your energy on a high plane and don't sink to a lower level, where you feel stressed and miserable.
Here are some ways other ways I recommend for you to maintain the bliss of reiki after a treatment:
- good nutrition- make sure that you eat well, including 10 portions of fruits and vegetables daily, good quality protein at each meal and essential fats plus wholegrain carbohydrates for energy. Drink water throughout the day. Limit caffeine, sugar and alcohol which are energy robbers. Ask about my stress nutrition for stress programme if you feel that your adrenals are over stressed. You maybe deficient in vital stress nutrients. Poor digestion and absorption also have a big role to play and can be helped with nutritional therapy.
- grounding - often we run from one event to the next without thinking or giving ourselves a break. Grounding helps us by connecting us with the earth. It improves heart rate variability, cortisol dynamics, blood viscosity, and sleep, and reduces stress effects and risk of inflammation. One way to do this is to walk barefoot on the earth or to stand upright and imagine roots going down from the feet into the earth.
- epsom salts bath - 2 scoops of epsom salts in the bath will help us to absorb magnesium which helps us to relax and sleep. It also helps to clear the negativity we may have picked up in our aura throughout the day.
- meditation- taking some time out to be still and breathe deeply is very calming on the nervous system and also helps us to ground ourselves. We will feel happier, more self aware, and maintain a relaxed mind for longer.
- daily journaling- when you wake up, instead of diving into your emails and worrying about all the things you need to do and what you aren't achieving- take some time out to write down all of the things that you are grateful for. This will keep you in a positive vibration and attract good things to you. Don't focus on what you DON'T want as you may attract more of that, whatever it is!
- yoga/yoga nidra - practice yoga to help clear the chakras- the energy centres throughout the body and keep your organs in good health. Yoga nidra is the state of consciousness between waking and sleeping; the body is completely relaxed and the practitioner focusses on each part of the body in turn. Yoga nidra is the deepest possible state of relaxation while still maintaining full consciousness. The practice reduces tension and anxiety. Find someone you can do yoga nidra with - I recommend Caroline Hermon, her facebook page is Just Enjoy Yoga.
- essential oils - I love the smell of essential oils which can enliven mind and body. I use a diffuser daily and choose from a range of oils depending on what I need. Good oils to use for relaxation are lavender while bergamot is good to uplift and refresh the mind, basil is strengthening, clearing and liberating. Further information can be found on www.doterra.com
- sleep routine- make sure that you get 7-8 hours sleep each night. We all know what it feels like to have a disturbed night's sleep. We can become irritable at the slightest aggravation! Practice good sleep hygiene and give your mind and body a chance to refresh. You will be calmer and more alert the next day.
I hope that you find this blog useful and please feel free to let me know what helps you keep your vital energy up throughout the day! Reik treatments are available at Orange Tree Clinic in Teddington. Call me on 07880353964 to arrange your appointment.